By: Uma Smith
TOP 10 GAMES OF 2014
10) Assassin’s Creed Unity — All the wonder and excitement associated with the French Revolution can now be experienced in this epic title. You may not learn a lot of European history (nor would you want to since this is a video game), but you will find yourself dedicated to pseudo-historical content.
9) Dark Souls II — RPG fans will find this sequel as a welcomed addition to their home console. But it’s not just role-playing elements here. Rather, you have quite the story and action that will have constantly keep your “souls” in check.
8) Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Red – Gotta catch em all, Pokemon! With a huge lineup of interestingly decorated characters with a child-friendly tone, it’s hard not to fall in love with this series. And in this case, complete with 3D goodness, this is no exception.
7) South Park: The Stick of Truth — It’s great to see these mischievous kids make their way onto the game consoles. Every aspect of this title “sticks true” to the cartoon series.
6) Freedom Wars — This is definitely one title for the Vita that leaves an absolute impression with hours of entertainment. It’s games like these that make you proud of owning this portable console.
5) Strider — A wonderful implementation of classic arcade gaming coupled with some pretty kick-ass graphics. Players will want to take “strides” to enjoy the amount of content offered here.
4) Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U – Take a bunch of well-known video game icons from Nintendo and have yourself a “smashing” time with this Wii U sensation. Who would expect to see Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman all in the same game fighting each other???
3) Ultra Street Fighter 4 – While it is quite tiring to see version after version of Street Fighter 4 coming out of the woodwork, this final one really put the cherry on top. More fighters with a well-balanced system in place brings forth an “ultra” good time!
2) Far Cry 4 — An open world that leaves players “crying” for more. Do you have what it takes to take on the immersive first-person experience filled with glorious graphics and high-octane excitement? I know I do… sort of.
1) Mario Kart 8 — A beautiful and colorful world filled with high-detailed characters and tracks gives this Wii U title the absolute seal of approval for 2014. Multiplayer madness coupled with straightforward controls makes it hard for players not to enjoy and then become/stay addicted to this splendid racer.
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF 2014
It is a pity to see the next-gen (or shall I say current gen?) hardware not being taken advantage of in terms of its capabilities. I’m talking about both the minimal usage of the PS Camera and Xbox Kinect as well as the delay of virtual/augmented reality. The constant wait is what makes this a definite pain to bear and, thus, the biggest disappointment.
MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2015
3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain — Metal Gear Solid in an open world? The best of both worlds coming to collide into what I hope to be an epic ordeal.
2) Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void – It’s time to see the conclusion of this real-time strategy in space. What should we be expecting from this exciting campaign?
1) Evolve — It’s time to hunt! But this time, you have the opportunity to act as the beast taking on the hunters. Quite the “evolution” in terms of gaming approach!
Playstation GOTY: Far Cry 4
XBOX GOTY: Far Cry 4
Nintendo GOTY: Mario Kart 8
Downloadable GOTY: Strider
Portable GOTY: Freedom Wars
Best DLC: All Pinball FX2’s released tables
Best Story: Far Cry 4