By: Uma Smith
TOP 10 GAMES OF 2013
10) Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness — Japanese anime mixed in with strategy battles produced a force that no other can deny, DOOD.
9) Hatsune Miku Project Diva F — Finally seeing this game appear in North America was a godsend. Now, we can enjoy Hatsune Miku and her giant onion!
8) Rayman Legends — Playing this title across all video game platforms, including the Wii U, will make you appreciate what Ubisoft has to offer. With stellar graphics and nice co-op gameplay, it’s a party in here!
7) Kokuga — It may appear deceptively simple, but its effective use of 3D graphics will have you hollering over this top-notch shooter.
6) Hotline Miami — This homage to the 8-bit era is more than just archaic. Blend in some trippy soundtracks with plenty of violence and you’ll raise the temperature in the room with tension and excitement.
5) BioShock Infinite — Its spectacular story will keep you “infinitely” engaged while its twist ending will leave you “shocked”!
4) Last of Us — With plenty of zombie games out there, it was hard to find a distinguishing title; that is, until now. This particular title certainly outlasted the rest with its impressive presentation, enthralling plot and, most importantly, intuitive controls.
3) Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds — While we may have portable capabilities and 3D effects, that doesn’t mean that classic gaming should not be included in the mix. In this case, we have a product that acts as a “link between worlds” of the new-age and retro.
2) Super Mario 3D World — There’s nothing but wonderful graphics and music coupled with plenty of challenges to keep you busy for hours on end.
1) Grand Theft Auto V — It’s a tough, open-world for a girl. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have fu-un! Giant maps and online mayhem keeps this title going and going and going… Definitely an epic game to own for either the PS3 or Xbox 360!
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF 2013
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct – Falls short of maintaining interest levels despite its attempt to capitalize on the franchise. One could almost mistake this with TellTale’s version. I say “almost” because the way to tell between the two is determining which is way more enjoyable. Ironically, they’re like the polar opposites.
MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2014
3) Watch Dogs — This has been delayed enough. Let’s bring this “puppy” out to the porch already!
2) South Park: The Stick of Truth — Oh my god, they’re bringing South Park to the gamers! You bastards! But in all seriousness, it will be very interesting to see how Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny play out in this RPG-style setting.
1) Super Smash Bros (both for 3DS and Wii U) — A huge number of characters from various Nintendo titles duking it out is a phenomenon like no other. Whether on the portable or the big screen, this is one title I have to check out! So far, we have been teased with details and screenshots, but no release date. Hopefully, our misery of waiting will finally be over this year.
PlayStation Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V
Xbox Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V
Nintendo Game of the Year: Super Mario 3D World
Downloadable Game of the Year: Hotline Miami
Portable Game of the Year: Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Best Story: Last of Us
Best Shooter: BioShock Infinite
Best Co-op: Super Mario 3D World