By: David Tavernier
TOP 10 GAMES OF 2013
10) Outlast — This is one of the scariest games I’ve played. It takes the weaponless horror genre started by the Penumbra and Amnesia games to another level.
9) Gone Home — This game had a very poignant story. It was short and sort of overpriced, but I did enjoy the atmosphere and the way its story unraveled.
8) Dota 2 — I felt that Dota 2 was an improvement over League of Legends in that all the characters were playable from the beginning, so there wasn’t as much grinding to get to play the characters you wanted. Its game mechanics and the way each character played uniquely were also well done.
7) Rayman Legends — This was the first Rayman game I had ever played, but I really liked it a lot. I enjoyed the musical levels the best.
6) Metro: Last Light — This game was both beautiful to look at and a lot of fun to play. The option to go stealth or guns blazing was a welcome one. Also, the story was well told. I played through this one in a single day because I couldn’t put it down.
5) Killer Instinct — I was a big fan of the original Killer Instinct in the arcades, and I also played the sequel in the arcade and on the Nintendo 64. I was surprised that Double Helix could accurately recreate the feel of the Killer Instinct franchise, and I had a lot of fun playing this game on Xbox Live.
4) Path of Exile — I enjoyed Path of Exile even more than what I played of Diablo III and Torchlight II. I feel like it sets a new standard in action RPGs. I loved the free events and prizes they offered in order to encourage people to play.
3) The Last Door — This game is a hidden gem. Although the graphics are pixelated and retro, the music is by far the best and most memorable of the year. Also, the story is unique and riveting. This is one of those games that your friend will have to recommend to you because it has very little press, but oh is it fun with a great story.
2) The Last of Us — The story in The Last of Us was amazing due to its strong performances. The gameplay was also awesome. I loved the feeling I got taking out the fungus zombies with the game’s plethora of weapons. Definitely not to be missed.
1) BioShock Infinite — I was looking forward to BioShock Infinite for a long time because I have been a fan of Irrational Games since System Shock 2. They’ve always had a wonderful way of telling stories through the FPS lens, and this is no different.
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF 2013
As much as I loved BioShock Infinite, it was also my biggest disappointment. I had incredibly high expectations of the game, and while it was my favorite game of the year, it still didn’t impress me as much as System Shock 2 or the original BioShock. I watched lots of videos about the game in the years prior to its release, and I was disappointed that a lot of what was in those videos was cut from the game. There were parts where Elizabeth was using supernatural powers that were cut from the game. There were also battles with Songbird that were cut. I was also disappointed that Irrational Games took out some RPG elements that were in BioShock, such as the ability to customize your guns or the ability to hack machines. I also didn’t like the appearance of a regenerating shield mechanic. It seemed sort of out of place.
MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2014
5) Thief — I enjoyed the original on the PC and am looking forward to seeing it brought to next-gen consoles.
4) InFamous: Second Son — The footage thus far has been really cool.
3) Titanfall — I’m interested in Titanfall simply due to all the hype surrounding it. I love multiplayer shooters and it’s supposed to be one of the best of those releasing in 2014.
2) Destiny — I’m a big fan of Bungie ever since playing their classic Marathon trilogy back in the day. The original Halo was one of my favorite FPS ever and I’m looking forward to seeing them do something fresh.
1) The Evil Within — The Evil Within is the latest work of Shinji Mikami, the father of Resident Evil. I’m a big fan of the zombie genre and loved the original Resident Evil for the PlayStation, so I’m really looking forward to seeing him do something new as well.
PlayStation GOTY: The Last of Us
Xbox GOTY: BioShock Infinite
Downloadable GOTY: Alien Rage
Best Story: The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite (tie)
Best Shooter: BioShock Infinite
Best Co-op: Path of Exile